Saturday, 18 June 2011

This is news?

Gloria Lee
On my way to the kitchen looking for a late supper, I spied the main headline of Thursday's paper out of the corner of my eye. I turned around, stared at it for a few moments to make sure I didn't read it wrongly, then shook my head and sighed at the piece of poor reporting.

"George Yeo not running for President" as the front page headline of our most established local daily? It's a useless headline, ranked along the likes of "Earthquake did not happen." In other words, it's not news.

Don't get me wrong. I have the fondest respect for our former foreign minister George Yeo, and was bitterly disappointed when he lost at the recent General Elections. But in his loss, he gained, because popular sentiment rallied around him. In this case, I believe his decision to not contest warranted a story to satisfy public interest, but definitely not the front page headline!

What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...