Sunday, 16 October 2011

In memory of Steve Jobs

pitchfork.com



I learnt about the passing of Steve Jobs while scanning headline news on my iPhone barely five minutes after waking up that morning. I was literally still rubbing the sleep out of my eyes when what I read stunned me awake. Curiously, I felt a pang of keen loss - like it was someone I actually knew and held dear, instead of merely someone who helmed the company who invented the device through which (ironically but fittingly) allowed me to find out about his death. For a moment then, I even thought I was going to tear up. Perhaps it was the legacy he left behind, which is well-demonstrated in his 2005 commencement speech at Stanford, which I also briefly mentioned here some time ago. "Stay hungry, stay foolish," he said. It was genuine and unpretentious.

In taking such a long time to blog about the passing of Steve Jobs, I've surprised even myself. I suppose I was trying to make sense of why I felt the way I did. Yes, I have an iMac, an iPhone, an iPod Touch and an iPod. In fact, I've been a user of Apple products for such a long time that my iPod doesn't even have colour. But so? I have had several laptops and desktops that run the Windows operating system as well. Honestly, I don't think I would feel anything if I were one day to read of Bill Gate's passing in the papers, for instance.

Then I went online and realized that I was one of legions of people who felt this way. This article in particular was an insightful read. Jobs will always be fondly remembered, at least by those in this generation.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...